Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Communication Error

A few weeks ago, I met a Russian boy at church. He is here studying English for four months. One night, he asked his Chilean roommate to help figure out why the wifi on his laptop wouldn't work. This roommate is very good with computers. Unfortunately, both of their English skills are limited, but luckily I happen to know a little Spanish and Russian. Can I just say it was a little bit confusing for my brain? Translating Spanish to Russian and vice versa was not easy... especially about computers when the computer's operating system is in Russian. Not something that really comes up in any of my casual conversations. There were several points when I was speaking the wrong language to the wrong person and got nothing but blank stares from the person I was talking to and laughs from the person I wasn't talking to. It reminded me of trying to talk to my Bolivian abuela in Spanish when I got home from my mission. Words would come out in Russian and she would just look at me funny. When I studied German in college, before I knew Russian, words would come out in Spanish. I think my brain only switches between English and Foreign Language... which is why they all get jumbled up.

We tried several different things to fix the computer with no luck. In the end, there was like an on/off switch on the bottom that needed to be switched. It was that easy. Go figure!

No comments: