Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Roots

Last Saturday, I went with some friends down to Plymouth. Very appropriate for Thanksgiving time, right? Little did we know that it would be the coldest day of the season (so far).
We started out on the Mayflower (II - the boat was built in the 1950's to re-create the original voyage).
Katie and I learning how to navigate.
This is me steering the ship. That stick controls the rudder from inside, near the captain's quarters. There is a hole above so he could communicate with the navigator and lookout.

I loved this ripple in the glass.Katie was all bundled up.... brrrrr!

Next we ventured out to take a peek at Plymouth Rock... I know... not what you were expecting pilgrims to land a huge ship on. More symbolic than anything. I was actually able to see it, though, now that the construction around it is complete.We had intended on watching the Thanksgiving parade that day, but after waiting (and shivering) in the cold for it to arrive... we found somewhere warm to eat instead. We did manage to see some of the parade walking by the windows......and catch the tail-end... and see some of the floats after it was over.

I was all about the turkey love that day. :)

That afternoon, we continued the festivities with a visit to Plimouth Plantation (no, I didn't spell that wrong). First, we met native people at the Wampanoag homesite. There were signs saying not say "how" for a greeting or call them "squaw" or "chief". I didn't think people did that since Peter Pan. ;) Underneath those furs, he was quite skimpily dressed... I think I'll go back in the summer. He was demonstrating how to make a canoe by burning a log to hollow it out. She was doing needlework/embroidery with porcupine quills and cooking......a yummy stew of pumpkin and cranberries with honeyish syrup. Yummy fall foods. Next, we wandered past the Eel River Pond to the 1627 English Village. The people there took on a specific role and would tell us about their life/story... even knew who their next-door neighbors were. When we asked one woman what she missed about England, her answer was, surprisingly, hearing bells ring. I found this cool piece of armor in one of the houses... Victoria was more than willing to try it on.In the craft center we saw amazing furniture/wookwork, weaving, and this pottery. I loved that the mugs had multiple handles. Must be convenient for sharing. :)

Afterwards we hurried home so I could make an apple pie for our ward Thanksgiving feast. My roommate Katie was gracious enough to share her easy recipe with me. It was my first pie ever and I must say turned out quite scrumptious. Of course, I would never presume to say so... I just know that my friends said it was quite delicious. ;) They made me go steal it from the kitchen so that everyone at our table got a piece before the rest of the tables attacked it.

No comments: