Tuesday, November 11, 2008

m-i-c-k-e-y

Our semi-annual work conference was held in Orlando this time. Bethany and I left on Election Tuesday, making sure that we voted first. (By the way, the address of the place I voted exists in five different zip codes in Boston. I had to try a couple before I could find it. Frustrating! I was also dissapointed that there weren't even any Republicans running against the Democrat incumbants for the state congress seats. Welcome to Massachusetts!) The first night was on our own dime, so we stayed in Disney's All-Star Resort......then moved to Disney's Contemporary Resort where our conference was being held. Do you like the room, Jess? The second picture is the view from my window.
On Wednesday, Bethany and I went to Magic Kingdom. It brought back so many memories of our family vacations to Disneyland. It really is a magical place. My family has gone to Disneyland in November the last few times, so It's a Small World the and Haunted Mansion had Christmas decorations. It was nice to see the original versions again. A couple things that were different... they added Jack Sparrow to Pirates of the Caribbean and the Tiki Room was under new management, so Iago and Zazu were involved. I miss the old Tiki Room. A new thing that I liked was Mickey's Philharmagic, a 3-D interactive show. I also had my joke chosen for Mike's Laugh Floor, so they said my name!Bethany and I had dinner in the Crystal Palace and met Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore.That evening I was able to go to the Orlando Temple with dear Christie Peo Lambert. It was so nice to get to spend time with her and reminisce about old times. We were in the last session of the evening and the last ones to leave the Celestial room. The temple worker let us watch him turn the lights off. As the lights are dimming, the chandelier caught different colors in the room and sparkled brilliantly. On Thursday, we had a conference meeting most of the day... but Michelle and I managed to go to EPCOT that evening. This was my first time ever at EPCOT. We managed to go on most of the rides. There is a ride that you are in a Space Simulator and it feels so real... it almost really made me sick. We didn't have a lot of time to spend in the different countries, but I did make a friend in Norway.On Friday, conference again most of the day, but we did have a fantastic party that evening. We went to China in the EPCOT center for dinner. There was a dragon dance as we came in, Mickey and Minnie joined us, and we also had a private Chinese acrobat show.Next we headed over to Italy for a yummy dessert bar and front row seats for the firework show over the water. It was also great to see the Peo's.On Saturday, we had just a half-day of conference and then Michelle and I headed to Hollywood Studios. I was able to go on Aerosmith Rockin' Rollercoaster... it was closed last year... and it was awesome!There was an awesome new ride that is like an interactive video game and 3-D. You come up to different screens and get to shoot things with a slingshot. Way fun, but the line was always so long! My last day in Orlando, I went to Animal Kingdom... another first for me. There is an amazing tree in the center, with carved animals all over it.My favorite ride was the Mt. Everest roller coaster. You come to the end of the track, which was torn up by the Yeti, and roll backwards to escape! One ride that scared me a little was the Dinosaur ride... I can't believe people take their kids on it.

I was also able to see a Finding Nemo in Broadway musical style. It was actually pretty cool how they used props and scenery. There were actors holding puppets for their character. It was only half an hour, so really condensed. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in New York in the future.

2 comments:

just jen said...

we are planning to go in 2010...i can't wait!

Rachel Leigh said...

I am so jealous!