Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Around the Country in Ten Days - Destination 1

There is no better way to beat the winter blues than to get away from it for a while. I was able to take a little week and a half trip and pretty much cover every side of the U.S. of A. My first destination was Minneapolis, MN for my cousin Ted's wedding. I know, I know... not the best place to escape the winter since it was colder there than in Boston. Luckily, though, it was only negative 8 (F) when I landed and not in the negative forties that I heard about the week before I arrived.Ted's fiance, Jenny's family had a dinner at their home Friday night. They were a fun bunch, and very kind. Ted loves Superman, so the ice cream toppers were Superman and Wonder Woman. (Jenny also showed us a fun little Superman gift she got at her bridal shower.) The next morning I woke up early to do a session before the wedding at the St. Paul Temple. This was number thirty-five for me (currently more than half-way there).
They were brave, good sports to get married in the middle of winter in Minnesota, that's all I'm saying. It started snowing just as we were leaving the temple.They did most of the pictures inside, before the reception. The church was lovely, and all of the decorations and food were very meaningful to represent things they had experienced in life. Ted also composed and played a song for Jenny on the piano. Very sweet. I am so happy for Ted and Jenny. They really seem to fit well together.
Yes, I caught the bouquet. I didn't try very hard. I held my arm up, and it hit me... slid down my arm and scratched me, (It hurt!) then it fell on the ground and no one else picked it up... I even hesitated before I finally picked it up. In case anyone is counting... this is the fourth bouquet I have caught, including my sister Jessica's when I was 18 (ha!), and a friend's bouquet a week before I went on my mission.
After shaking it on the dance floor and watching them open presents (they were leaving the next day and had to get everything to Alaska somehow), we went to the Mall of America. Yes, it is ginormous! It has a theme park in the middle of it. We decided to go on one ride and chose this beauty, Rock Bottom Plunge. The first leg goes straight up, then straight down. It was a little strange to be staring at a glass ceiling covered with snow instead of the sky, but still cool.The next day, we explored a little bit around the city after church. There was this yummy sculpture garden. We walked along the frozen Mississippi near an old mill. It turned much colder at this point. Brrrr!
It was really fun to be with the Simpers. They are lots of fun, always laughing, and really care about people. It was good to spend time with them. Thanks for letting me come!

No comments: