Sunday, October 11, 2009

Acadia Camping

I love camping, but don't necessarily have all the gear, but I jumped on the chance to go when my friend Emily invited me to join them in Acadia. She and I drove up Friday afternoon, getting there around 9:30 pm. It was pouring rain for the entire drive and didn't let up. We agreed to set the tents up since the others wouldn't get there until late. I was so grateful that I had stopped at Wally World to get a $4 poncho. One of the tents we used (not Emily's) was the oddest shape and took us over two hours to set up. The other we got up in 15 minutes. The tent did keep us nice and toasty warm that night, though, even if it was a little damp inside. Everyone made it safely, although we didn't find out one car did until the next morning. They got there so late they just slept in the car.

Saturday was a fun-filled day. We started off with a little kayaking around an island. It was still windy, so the water was pretty choppy. The water splashed over the edge of the kayaks a few times and we came away a little wet. We didn't get to go out as far as they normally do, but it was still gorgeous.

Eric, Emily, C, Julie, Sean, Christina

Next we headed out for a little drive around the park, stopping at Sand Beach. It was a very peaceful place to sit and watch the powerful waves rolling in.
Raphael, Emily, Michelle, C, Christina, Sean
The sand dunes here were gorgeous, reminding me of Anne of Green Gables, with the swaying grass (which actually was poky and hurt!). Michelle and I got into a little fight with the cattails. I came away looking the worst, though, since I was wearing black fleece.We raced up to the top of Cadillac Mountain to be able to see the sunset. The leaves were at their peak for Autumn colors and the sight was glorious.
We had dinner at a fun diner in Bar Harbor called Route 66. The deco was awesome, including a pink cadillac, roadsigns, and funny license plates.
Unfortunately we didn't get any smores that night as the firewood we had was wet. We tried diligently to get a fire going, but in the end it didn't last long.
Emily and I took the scenic route home. I loved this display in one of the small towns we passed through.
Acadia was amazing. I can't wait to go again!

1 comment:

Delise said...

Bar Harbor is not far from Tennant's Harbor where we used to go with Brent's family. Beautiful area...I never made it to Cadillac Mountain but glad you did. Looks beautiful!