Friday, May 29, 2009

Fairy Tale

On Saturday, May 23, after a one-woman breakfast show, we left Clare Inn and started driving to Galway... in the rain. We finally found the B & B after taking a few wrong exits on roundabouts. We were debating what to do with the weather the way it was, but were convinced that the rain would clear. We headed out for a loop drive through Connemara. The cows were replaced by sheep in this area. Our first destination was Aasleagh Falls.Michelle and I decided to go past the life in peril sign today... ... and we walked up the path towards the falls. We were attacked by gnats near the water while trying to take this picture:
The weather was still cool and drizzly, but clearing. The rhododendrons were just beginning to explode and purple was everywhere. We drove through Leenane, stopping on hills for scenic views. Walking around, we had to avoid sheep (and their droppings).
Our next stop was at the peat bogs. This is where peat moss comes from... basically just layers and layers of vegetation that didn't decay fully. It is also used for fuel... you can see where they cut it out in blocks.
You can feel your friend jump fifteen feet away from you... we jumped and jumped. I decided I wanted to go a little further out... and lost my shoe in the process. Not to worry, though... the tour bus full of elderly Germans was watching and they all applauded... while taking video and pictures. (Has anyone seen me on YouTube yet?) I was the only one brave enough to venture out. They all waved good-bye as the bus drove away. Very kind of them. Can you see the mud up to my ankles?
Next we drove to the Kylemore Abbey/Castle. Doesn't it remind you of a fairytale?
We met some friendly Californians, ate scones and onion chips for lunch, then had a lovely drive through Connemara... seeing and dodging many sheep.
We headed back to Galway and walked around the city. A few interesting things... there is a park dedicated to JFK, and the McDonalds there has curly fries! and Rollo shakes. We strolled down a pedestrian-only street and saw the cutest shops, including the Claddaugh museum/shop, and a wooden toy store, and around the corner was an outdoor market.

Galway just happened to be the next stop on the Volvo Ocean Race. The ships had just left Boston (crazy, right?) and were expected at any time. They actually arrived that night at 4 a.m., but we were sleeping. Ireland's boat was called the Green Dragon, as it was Chinese-built.We walked through the village and enjoyed the sunshine.We went over to Salt Hill, rode the ferris wheel, and walked back along the the promenade. An elderly Irish gentleman in a jaunty cap told me I had a nice smile and blew me a kiss as he walked by.View of Galway from the ferris wheel:We ended up all the way back at the city center, where we ate dinner in the little stone cottage near the Spanish arch. When we walked into the restaurant, the hostess looked at us like we were crazy for trying to walk in without a reservation. She did tell us we could try upstairs. It was delicious! I had butternut squash soup and an almond galette with spinach, cheese, and potatoes with cardamon. Michelle had slow-cooked lamb with prunes and sweet potato mash. Then we shared praline sorbet and caramel ice cream for dessert. Mmmm...

When we had walked through the arch toward the cottage, I thought it smelled really bad like sewage. When we left I discovered why... the water had gone out and there were a couple boys relieving themselves against the side of the building. We found our way through the mob of drunk teenagers and started the trek back to the car. A couple of swans were floating through the canal, then joined a whole flock a little further out.

4 comments:

trentathon said...

Unbelievable pictures Charlotte, it really does remind me of fantasy world.

Rachel Leigh said...

Looks so pretty! How fun!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Just so you know, I am writhing in envy right now. WRITHING! I DO NOT WRITHE EASILY!

Also, glad that you survived the trip to the falls okay. Despite the gnats. :)

Lena said...

I am so jealous of your travels but I love that you capture the beauty! Ireland is one of the places I would love to go to before I die! I will definitely go now! I have to agree, I would love to have been a little girl playing in those gardens or just living in a castle! Fun!