Friday, July 17, 2009

Japanese Lantern Festival 3.0

For the third year in a row I headed to Forest Hills Cemetery for their annual Lantern Festival. My usual co-conspirator, Kristie, is now in Nashville, so instead I went with Victoria and Amy Beth.
I decided it would be fun to show you a little bit of the process this year. First, you get your paper lantern and if you so choose, can have a variety of Japanese characters painted on it. We chose Eternity and Happiness.
Then there is a table of markers where you can decorate your lantern. I drew a temple and the sun, while Amy Beth, our resident artist, drew an amazing tree. She and Victoria wrote notes to family members who have passed on, which is the purpose of the Bon Festival.Next, you put your paper lantern over the wooden base with a candle in the middle. At this point, we just needed to wait for it to get dark enough to light our lantern. There is a little bit of musical and dancing entertainment that we enjoyed.We also set out to find some of the modern art sculptures around the cemetery. I remembered the creepy nightgowns from the year before, but I didn't know there was a giant nightgown too. Glad it wasn't too dark yet! ;) When we returned to the pond, someone came and lit our candle, then we placed it in the water.
I'm such a fan of sunsets. I love the different color combinations that magically appear.I love seeing all the lanterns just floating. Somehow very peaceful, even with the crowds of people there.
See you next year for #4!

1 comment:

kia said...

Aww...I'm so sad I wasn't there this year! Good thing I'm coming out to visit soon or else I may be in danger of falling into an "I-really-really-miss-Boston" depression. (I promise that's a real disease...I know these things now...I'm a professional).