Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Preston's Visit

My oldest nephew, Preston, is about to start fifth grade where he will study American history. We decided that it would be fun if he came and saw all the historical sites that he would learn about. This means that... I got to have some family come and visit! My mom and dad brought Preston to come and stay. This is them in front of my house.
On Thursday, we started things off with the Freedom Trail. This is Preston on his first subway ride ever. I think he could already tell that he was going to feel like the Paparazzi was following him on this trip. ;)Preston following the red line that marks the trail. Republicans standing in opposition to Democrats.Tall Ships from allover the world just happened to be in Boston that week and I just happened upon some Russian sailors in Quincy Market. I saw sailors once in Sochi on my mission and was sad I never got a picture of them. Don't they have the best uniforms? On Friday, we headed over to Charlestown, with our first stop at Bunker Hill.
I had never been inside the monument, so we climbed all the way up those stairs. I think it almost killed my mom... ...but the view was amazing. We saw some of the Tall Ships in the harbor, so decided to head over there next.The lines to go on the ships were wicked long, so we went through the U.S.S. Constitution museum. Preston and I hanging out.
Preston hauling a cow onboard. It actually mooed loudly when it moved. :)
We headed out to Salem next. The Salem Witch Museum really scared my dad.
Next we went on a tour of the House of Seven Gables. My favorite is the secret passage inside.
It just took a little urging for Preston to pose for this picture.
Appropriately, the house is just off of Turner Street.
We had a ton of fun on Saturday. We joined my ward activity at Horseneck Beach. Preston loved swimming in the ocean. Victoria helped me bury him in the sand.My friend Ben brought his skim board and we all had fun trying it out. I think I only managed to stay on for two seconds.

After the beach, we drove to Plymouth, which my dad was excited about. Here we are at the Mayflower II. I love Preston's grin in this picture.
Isn't my daddy a good poser? ;) We decided to try again to go on the Tall Ships, going to a different pier this time. I love this one with the big sun on the sail.We unfortunately got there just as they closed and didn't get to actually go on a ship. I did get to speak to more Russian sailors, though.AND there was a Dunkin' Donuts nearby for a treat.By the way... Preston lost a tooth while in Boston. The Tooth Fairy found him here, too. I know this is blurry, but can you see how the tooth is hanging on by a thread?

1 comment:

just jen said...

fun, fun, FUN!

i wish family would come more often!