Friday, July 18, 2008

Japanese Lantern Festival

When I first came to Boston last year, I was so excited to be here, that I tried to find something fun to do every night. I felt like I just had to get it all in. I think I was in vacation mode for the first few months... it hadn't really sunk in that I would be here a while and would have more opportunities to do every thing. Anyway, one thing that I did was go to a Japanese Lantern Festival with my brand new friend, Kristie (who is now such a good friend, so glad we met). Thursday we decided to make it a tradition and we went again. We arrived to hear the drums and music playing. We set to work to decorate our lantern, then waited for the sky to darken so we could light it. Dan placed it in the water for us, just as a snapping turtle swam by. All the lanterns floating on the pond are beautiful. There is something magical about fire, especially at twilight. I could sit and stare at it for hours. It was interesting that the lanterns stayed in patterns in the water, grouped together or in lines. Must have been the current from all the turtles. ;)
Did I mention that it was in a cemetery? The cemetery also has modern art sculptures scattered throughout. We had a much easier time finding these nightgowns this year than last year... when we didn't realize it probably wasn't so safe to be wandering around the cemetery... in the pitch dark... alone.... It's funny because they just suddenly jump out at you, like ghosts... Boo!
Hard to believe I've been here in Boston for over a year now. I must say that I'm doing much better getting around... I'm not completely reliant on my gps anymore. I even got to the cemetery and home without it. This may sound like a small feat, but only if you've never tried to drive in Boston before. :)

2 comments:

just jen said...

those nightgowns look really scary!

i don't like it!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I'm so sad I had to work that night and missed the beautifulness. :/

But I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.