Monday, June 1, 2009

Hot Day in Dublin

We woke up at the crack of dawn to catch our 7 a.m. flight to Dublin. My very last bit of driving on the left side of the road. We couldn't check in to our flight to Boston, so we had to do it in Dublin. Communication error: I was very confused when security asked if I had a flask. I decidely told her no, when she pulled out my water bottle. The flight was slow to board (we think they were cleaning?), and slow to unboard (jetway problem?) when we landed. We finally made it only to find out our Dublin flight was delayed nearly three hours. This did mean that we had plenty of time to see Dublin. We rode a double decker bus into the city center and did a little walking tour. This is the famous Ha'penny Bridge, so named for the toll paid to walk across it.We found the city to be very clean. Street-sweepers and street-vacuumers were constantly walking/driving by. Statue of Oscar Wilde in Merrion Square:We had lunch at 'The Restaurant' on the sun deck of a department store, where we could look out over the street. I loved the cute clovers in the street lamps. I loved Grafton Street with darling shops and street vendors and performers. Dublin Castle:St. Patrick's Cathedral:
There were tons of kids out... it may have been the last day of school. I loved the uniforms!
Favorite quotes of the day:
  • I wondered out loud if a button said 'Kiss me, I'm Irish' in Gaelic. A kid nearby replied, "that says kiss my a$$."
  • We overheard a tween walking by exclaim, "$#%^$ $#%!@, it's a hot day in Dublin." Imagine with a darling Irish accent. :)
  • On a t-shirt, "I didn't forget. I just didn't care enough to remember."
  • I stepped onto a bus, then realizing it wasn't express started to walk off. The driver told me to sit down and relax. "Are you in a hurry?"
Ireland was simply a magical, beautiful place. Love, love it!

1 comment:

Rachel Leigh said...

Looks so pretty, and looks like so much fun!