Monday, August 17, 2009

The Island

My dear friend Jenny Faith lived on Nantucket for a summer a while ago, so I jumped on the chance to go with her to the island for my first time.
It had rained the night before, so when we got on the ferry, we had to dry off our seats... with these flimsy napkins from the little cafe on board. You know, the kind that disintegrate as soon as they see water? Above are Tristan, Mollie, and Katie, with Jenny below. I found out that Jenny is a talented cartoonist. One really funny thing happened on the ride over. This dude was walking by with orange juice in one hand and apparently didn't realize that boats aren't always steady. It lurched and the orange juice flew allover this poor innocent man sitting there. Sad, but hilarious.

These pictures are for Angie - it's the home of Nantucket Nectars!



Jenny showed us her favorite place for smoothies... ...which we thoroughly enjoyed.


We wandered around and saw this cute little street market. There were so many beautiful things that I wished I had a house to decorate. We tried to see a sand sculpture contest, but there were no sculptures to be found. Just roped off areas with not even a mound of sand. Sad.


We headed off ot the other side of the island next, which has better beaches. I was there to witness the first time that Jenny swam in an ocean. Woot! Katie is such a good motivator at getting us out to endure enjoy the cold Atlantic waves.It was so nice to just have relaxing bask-in-the-sun time.
Love the hydrangeas!
Another beach that was covered in seashells......with this adorable lighthouse.


I love this weathervane, a nod to the whaling that was big in Nantucket.I know this is a horrible picture, but can you see the couple walking behind us? We ran into quite a few wealthy New Englanders in the typical uniform. Tristan wondered if there was a parade. ;)

Mollie and I were the only ones who couldn't seem to fall asleep on the ferry ride home. I entertained us with this drawing. We were so tired that there were plenty of giggles. Don't I look good with green eyes?
Thanks to Jen for being our tour guide. Nantucket is amazingly beautiful and has such a quaint feel to it. Fun, fun day.

On Sunday, there was a big combined meeting at church for an announcement. There were two 25+ (or grad student) singles wards for all of Boston. The small change was realigning the boundaries to match the different stake boundaries. The big change was creating a new ward for everyone in both wards who is 31+. As you may or may not know, I turned 31 on my birthday two weeks ago... just in time, right? I have to admit, I had to talk myself into liking the idea, and may have been close to tears during the meeting. Not only did it make me feel a little old, but I am going to miss my bishop and all the friends staying there. Not that they'll be further away, I just won't get to see them as often.
That night, my new friends Daryl and Jarick invited me (and Katie) over for a late birthday dinner. Daryl found out I love Italian food and Jarick served in Italy. He made some amazing pasta with homemade sauce. It was an amazing meal, food-wise, as well as good company-wise. Afterwards, we sang songs around the piano, which is something I used to do with Joy all the time and miss a lot. Both of these boys are in my new ward, so that made me feel a lot better and even a little excited for the new ward. I also can't complain about getting to extend my birthday celebrations just a little longer. ;)

1 comment:

AngieDoodle said...

AH!!!! Your trip looks SO amazing! Thanks for thinking of me and posting those pictures! Yay!
Love ya!