Monday, August 10, 2009

Quincy Revisited

This weekend got off to a great start. Molly, Katie, and I had dinner at Applebee's on Friday night. It was such a lovely evening that we sat outside on the patio. About midway through our meal, we became aware of an altercation in the parking lot, as the lights of several police cars began swirling. A little while later, right after the police let this dude go, he goes up to a guy in his car about 50 feet away and smashes his window. S - m - r - t, smart! About this time we realize we are going to miss the beginning of a movie and head out. Unfortunately, a police car is blocking my escape. I ask the kind sir, if it would be possible for me to leave. He says that they shouldn't be there too much longer. Oh... okay. He then pauses, thinks for a moment, and proceeds to tell me a story about a conversation he had. The punchline being about how a policeman takes out the trash. After he delivered his joke and got my courtesy laugh, he moved his car for me. Very sweet. :)

The movie we saw was Julie & Julia. It was quite delightful and inspired me to learn how to cook better. Does anyone want to give me a good cookbook? ;) Katie observed that it was not a very well-made movie but had a great story about good, inspiring people... as opposed to 500 Days of Summer which was very well-made but about horrible people.

On Saturday, I returned to Quincy, where I lived during my first year in Boston. Somehow, I had never been able to tour the John Adams sites. In my defense, I tried a time or two, but they are only open during the summer. Boston honestly seems to shut down in the winter. Anywho, Katie and I picked up Amy Beth and then met Bethany in Quincy. Here is the first home we visited... ...which is next door to this home. Bethany had a little mishap inside this home, which she will write about for us soon. The homes are very much like pioneer homes on the inside. Basic wood, huge fireplace, simple furniture. They told about political meetings being held inside this home. It is awe-inspiring to stop and think that you are standing in the same place that great men have stood in.
The Adams lived in Europe for awhile and upon looking to move back, found out this mansion was available. They'd never been inside, but agreed to buy it. Isn't it beautiful? When they got here, they found out that inside wasn't much larger than their last home. They ended up adding on two more wings in the back. This was Katie's favorite part - a separate library. It was filled with books from floor to ceiling, with those cool rolling ladders. There was also art by one of Katie's favorite painters from that era. One painting was only half done, because the British men wouldn't pose for the painting. It was of the signing of the treaty that ended the Revolutionary War... which they lost.This is the carriage house. Does that remind anyone else of Clue (Deluxe)?We decided to find a few other things Katie read about online, while down in lovely Quincy. This is a cairn marking the hill where Abigail and John Quincy watched the battle of Bunker Hill in the distance. Next we went to Moswetuset Hummock, an important place for the Native Americans from whom Massachusetts got its name. It was a beautiful, peaceful day, so we sat a enjoyed the water, while Katie did a little reading.That night, Mollie and I went and chose paint colors for my new apartment. Yes, I am moving again. More to come on that later.

This week's Sunday cartoon (oh how I will miss those when Katie leaves) was inspired by the events in Quincy. We got to ride a trolley to the different sites and Katie was sliding about. I mentioned to her that if she just planted her feet, she wouldn't slide (sometimes I can't help but state the obvious). Little did I know that she enjoyed sliding.After church, Katie made a yummy pizza in the barbecue, then we headed off for dinner at one of the bishopric's houses, the Walker's. We hadn't been there before, so we left a little earlier than necessary. That was okay, though, because we passed a little park and decided to stop. Katie and I took one look at the swings and decided to swing as high as we could. I don't remember the last time I swung, but there is something so incredibly liberating about flying through the air on a little rubber seat. You know, sometimes I just have to play like a child. Too bad my nieces and nephews aren't close enough to play with so that I don't look quite as silly. ;)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You didn't take a picture of the stables......BTW, I always beat you(because it is MY game)!