Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fungi

When I worked for Jacobsen Construction, they would give us a Home Depot gift card every Christmas. While I'm sure most of the people working for a construction company would have plenty of uses for it, as an accountant (not a bricklayer), it would usually sit in my purse for quite a few months before I could come up with a good use for it. Last year, I decided to buy plants for my new apartment. One of them was a couple of little mini-palm trees. The smaller one subsequently died, leaving me with just one palm tree. Suddenly this summer, I started noticing little yellow things budding in the dirt. I thought they might be new palms coming up... but no, they were mushrooms! Where did they come from? Who knows? I dug them out several times, but they just kept coming back. This week I finally decided to repot all of my plants. It is actually quite therapeutic to get to dig in the dirt. My new apartment has a nice deck, which was the perfect place for it, and it was gorgeous weather. I discovered two things... first, I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time out there this fall, and second, I should have been a botanist.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

TRY the mushrooms! I hear they are fantastic! :)

Delise said...

What? The Love Fern died? Name THAT movie...

Sorry I missed your call, want me to call now ;) xo

Jessica said...

...and the mushrooms? I was waiting to hear that the whole bottom of the pot had a mushroom colony. Explain to me why the mushrooms chose your plant, Ms. Botanist!

Jessica said...

HEY! Is that your old fireplace in the background? Are you using post-dated pictures? Are you cheating?

Lindz said...

It still is not to late to be a botanist. I hear you are coming our way soon. Can't wait to see ya.