Saturday, September 6, 2008

Change of Residence

I have never been in such a state of constant exhaustion as I have the last week or so. Moving is a big job. Luckily, we were able to get into the apartment a few days early, because we needed to clean (more like scrub and sanitize) everything and paint to cover up the hideous colors that were on the walls. Funny story... when we went to buy the paint at the local Home Depot, the guy helping us was flirting and saying we chose ducky yellow (which, by the way, we changed our minds about) and somehow the conversation got onto names. My roommate Katie has a very common last name and he said that he did as well in Peru. But the combo with his first name, Aleksei, not so much. I said, "that's a Russian name," and he said, "I know." And without even thinking, I asked him if his parents were Communists... because a man I met on my mission was Peruvian and his parents were Communists and that's how he ended up in Russia, so you know, Russian name, Peruvian parents... normal question, right? Katie did her very best of keeping a straight face, but laughed about it as soon as we could. AND he didn't get offended, so I think they secretly are... not that it's a bad thing or anything. Speaking of Russians, I hired movers and when they showed up, they were speaking Russian! It was so fun for me to get to chat a little and listen to them speak. I don't get that chance very often. They moved a heavy couch for Katie down three flights of winding stairs and she's pretty sure she learned a few Russian curses. I was grateful to have someone take care of it for me, even if I did have to pay them.
One thing that I feel proud of is that we were able to make the scuzzy apartment we first encountered into a nice place to live. (Don't worry, pics will come when we're done... about 80% there.) There is something therapeutic about making something more beautiful. I always seem to see a place for its potential. This apartment came together much faster than my last one. My mind has a hard time resting when I know I have so much to do... so I was only able to sleep four or five hours a night before my mind was up and restless, knowing I needed to work. (I took a medicine the other night that made me sleepy, so the next day at work, I was called a drunk sailor. Reminded me of the first time I took Benadryl and couldn't even get one word to form on my lips. I kept saying, "sko... sko... sko..." then dropped my head back onto the pillow.) I also have a hard time imposing my mess on other people, so have felt the need to get everything put together quickly.
It has been so nice to have roommates and people close enough to just stop by. It has made me so much happier. My roomies have all been great this last week. I think we are going to have fun living together!

6 comments:

just jen said...

i am excited to see some pictures!

Rachel Leigh said...

You are like me, I see things/places for the potential they hold. When we bought our condo, it really was disgusting when we first went to see it, but we made it the way we wanted it, and now it is beautiful. Good luck, can't wait for the pictures.

Amy said...

Soo excited to see the pics! Crazy how many communists/russians you run into :-)

Joy said...

I re-tag you to do "The house where I live" post again.

Delise said...

Yay for you! I'm glad you're not alone anymore...I always worried about that. Get those pics up soon dang-it! And don't forget to call me sometime, I'll try to not be so deaf on the phone! xos

Jessica said...

You forgot to mention how you need someone to inspire your decorating!:) I don't care if you are only 80%, I want to see. Send me some pictures NOW!! You should talk to more Communists... apparently they speak Russian with a Spanish accent like you do.