Saturday, April 10, 2010

Quality

We get almost daily FedEx deliveries at work, so I often get to chat with Dave, our delivery man. This is one of the highlights of the day because he is such an interesting person. He has a huge garden with several kinds of every vegetable and beautiful flowers. He raises chickens (which provided the delicious fresh eggs above that he brought for me and Mike) and keeps bees to make his own honey. He will ice fish in the winter, catch sharks in the summer, do other hunting in season, and said that next he wants to become a really great diver so that he can learn to spearfish. He is a foodie, so he makes delicious meals with all of his fresh ingredients and "eats like a king." Even with all of this, he still finds time to cultivate relationships with friends and family (he always has "access" to or what I would call connections for the things he needs).

Dave told me that it is all about time management, using your time to improve the quality of life. He grew up poor, but not wanting for anything because his dad was the same as he is, and now his sons are following in his footsteps. It really makes me stop and think. A FedEx driver isn't the most glamorous job in the world's view, but it allows him to do the things that make him happy. Dave says that even though he doesn't have all the "things" other people have, he always has something interesting to occupy his time, so he doesn't notice. I appreciate his point of view and hope I can make my life more fulfilling like he has.

No comments: