Sunday, August 17, 2008

Coast to Coast Friends

Kim & Lisa
Cassie & I
Last weekend, my good friend Kim came to visit me from San Diego, California, where she moved to about the same time I came to Boston. She dragged along her friend Cassie that she met there. Our friend, Lisa, from Utah also came along for the fun. On Saturday, we decided to take the ferry to Salem, and it was a beautiful day.

Our first stop was The House of Seven Gables, of Nathaniel Hawthorne fame. In case you weren't aware, they explained that a gable is created when there are extension from the ridge of the roof, creating the triangular wall. Much of the house and furnishings is original (which I'm not used to, since most old houses I've toured are pioneer recreations because the originals were destroyed). I loved the secret staircase hidden in the panel next to the fireplace. I always wished there were a secret passage in my house and remember pretending the deep storage closets in my Grandma Turner's basement would actually go somewhere. My friend Kristie's parents are building a secret passage in their new house and I think I'm going to have to do the same if I ever build a house. :)
The grounds also contain the house where NH was born and exquisite gardens. NH was somewhat of a recluse, which makes it surprising that he was able to write about people so well. It was interesting to get a glimpse of his life, growing up near the ocean. I adored the beautiful gardens... have I mentioned that I love flowers?




Just a quick plug... I had the best gelati at this cute shop called Rita's. I had the cherry Italian ice flavor with deliciously creamy custard. Loved the "Guide to Ordering Happiness", with signs showing us where to Order and Pick-Up Happiness. There are only two in MA, but if you are ever in Salem (or near one of their other locations), make sure to try some. You won't be disappointed.












Another highlight was the Salem Witch Museum, where we enjoyed quite the theatrical presentation about the history of the Salem witch trials. I won't spoil it, but one misconception is that the "witches" were burned. They were actually hanged, with one man pressed to death. One interesting fact, people placed in prison were charged for their room and board there. Pretty much, once you were placed there, whether or not you were guilty, you couldn't ever get out... you couldn't pay the debt because you weren't working, and you just fell deeper and deeper into debt until they took away all your property.

I had so much fun with these girls. I have known Kim for ten years, and was even her roommate for a few months after my mission. She is a nurse and helps me learn more about medicine... sometimes by listening in on her conversations with nurse friends, one of whom is Lisa. :) I met Lisa through Kim on a trip to Mexico. The next year we all went to Brazil and Argentina. Lots of good memories with them. It was so fun to be around these girls and feel like I could act as silly as I was ten years ago when we met, and know they wouldn't think I'm crazy. Who can't use a little silliness now and then? Thanks for coming!

2 comments:

Delise said...

Heh, heh. I thought the statue of Anne in your next post was the statue of the witch in Salem...Carl had bad dreams about her and that museum for MONTHS!! :)

Amy said...

Did you see a psychic in salem :-)