Saturday, August 16, 2008

Outside Expeditions

Thursday was a fabulous day. We started off with a kayaking tour along the North Rustico harbor. It was a little cloudy, but the rain stayed away, and it kept it cool. This was the first time I kayaked on the ocean. I loved the feeling of being on the water, so different from a big boat, just close down to everything. I could see jelly fish swimming by. It made me feel very small with all the ocean expanding out before me. We kayaked out along the red cliffs for about an hour, then stopped for snacks before turning back. We saw different kinds of birds, including Great Blue Heron.



After kayaking, we hopped on some bikes and went six miles to Cavendish, the town on which LM Montgomery based Avonlea. Here is where she is buried next to her husband, a reverend she married when she was thirty-six years old. While there Anne and Diana shared some homemade raspberry ice cream with me.

Green Gables


Lover's LaneThe Haunted Woods

I read all eight of the Anne books a couple of months ago, in preparation for this trip. It was thrilling to be at the places that she wrote about. The island is so beautiful, it was easy to see where Lucy Maud got her inspiration. Anne could always see and appreciate the beauty around her. If anyone hasn't read the books, I highly recommend them.

The bike ride back to North Rustico was a little harder than the way there... but I did it! I don't think I've every biked 12 miles before. Maybe I should train before I try it next time. ;) Nevertheless, the ride along the coast of the Gulf St. Lawrence was beautiful. The contrast between the red roads, the green trees and blue ocean was amazing. There were several little beaches along the way. One was full of families with bright-colored umbrellas, children running around, flying kites. Just like a postcard.

1 comment:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Have I mentioned before that I'm totally, completely jealous?

:)

Well, I am. Dude, that's awesome. (Love the Anne books!)