Monday, August 25, 2008

My Sad Story

I am (slowly) getting packed and ready to move to a new apartment this weekend, however, when one of my Russian friends, Vika, e-mailed me and said she would be in New York, AND I found bus tickets for $30 round trip, AND I realized it's been almost seven years since I saw her, AND how often do I get to see anyone from my mission... I decided to go for the weekend. Saturday morning, I woke up at 4:15 am so that I could catch the 6:30 bus, made it down to New York around 10:30 am, then waited... and waited... and waited... but Vika never came. I called her hotel to see if she was waiting for me there, but they couldn't find her name in their system. After an hour and a half, I went to the hotel, but still couldn't find her. I determined that I was still going to do something fun, though, so I went and bought a ticket to see the matinee of Mary Poppins, the musical, on Broadway.
I really enjoyed the play. Mary Poppins is probably my favorite Disney movie, but I was glad that I read the playbill before the show started and had some warning... only about half of the music is from the movie and the rest is new. They also reworked the lyrics to some of the movie songs. They added additional stories from the books. It made me want to read them. There were of course some magical Disney moments... Bert walks up the side of the stage and upside-down across the top during Step In Time, they shower the audience with stars during Anything Can Happen If You Let It, and Mary Poppins flies up and out over the audience with her bird umbrella for the finale. Feed the Birds always makes me a little teary-eyed. Did you know that was Walt Disney's favorite song?
After the play, I went back to Chinatown and took the bus home. It was a very long day and I was very disappointed not to be able to connect with Vika. I had even been practicing speaking in Russian. I hope that nothing terrible happened to her. I realized how much I depend on my cell phone now... don't know how I ever got along without it. Very frustrating and sad. :(

One good thing was that I saw how easy it is to go to New York from here. I can't believe I haven't gone at all in the last year. I think that I may go more often... and my cousin Jenni, who loves musicals, just moved to DC. Jen, do you want to meet up in New York for musicals every so often???

5 comments:

kia said...

Aww, Char...that's SO sad! I'm sorry it didn't work out.

just jen said...

i wonder what happened to her? scary!

so awesome that you saw mary poppins though! i really want to see that. did you buy the soundtrack?

i would love to meet up in NY for some musicals...too bad i don't have anyone to watch the kids! maybe on some random weekend, colin will do it.

Delise said...

Way to make lemonade Char! You are such an adventurer! When is the move date? It will be hard not picturing your in your cute little apartment with the freaky cherub witch tiles on your fireplace! I'll need lots of pictures to plant you in my mind in your new home! Sorry about Vika! Hope she's ok!!

Lindz said...

sad, but FUN! That is so awesome you went to see Mary Poppins. I heard about it. You are so lucky. Miss you.

Amy said...

I promise i won't ditch you in NYC. SPeaking of, you want to get a hotel in Manhattan?