Monday, March 30, 2009

Saturday Adventures

Saturday was a busy day. I went to our Relief Society breakfast, then to a bridal shower, and then crashed an Arizona party (they actually got it up to ninety degrees in the room!). The weather was gorgeous that day, I didn't even need my coat. The sky was my favorite color of blue and the sun shone bright in the sky. When I arrived at home, Katie approached me with a gleam in her eye and convinced me to go on another adventure. I was worn out, but she wanted to go to the beach, which I couldn't resist on such a gem of a day.
We decided to head out to Castle Island, where Fort Independence looms. As we drove along the Charles River towards the city, I looked up and saw some mistiness in the air... what was that? We soon realized that fog was rolling in and by the time we made it through South Boston to the beach, we couldn't see the sun anymore. It was a little bit disappointing, but still a good discovery. We will definitely be back when the sun is shining.
Katie was sorely disappointed that we were not allowed inside the fort. She had seen the fort from her whale watching boat ride the year before. The green grass growing on top is quite enticing. Pity the doors are locked... and you know, a fort is meant to keep people out, so it would probably be difficult to break in. ;)
The wind picked up a little as we walked around the fort. There was this cool monument for Donald McKay, shipbuilder, with the names of all the ships he built. My favorite was Empress of the Seas, not to be confused with Romance...Champion... Sovereign... or Glory... of the Seas.
I loved being by the water. There is something rejuvenating about smelling the salty air and hearing the waves break against the shore.
It was a lovely Saturday adventure... even if the fog followed us all the way home.

No comments: