Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What It's All About

Two hundred and thirty-eight years ago on March 5, 1770, this star marks what was the site of a "massacre". Five men were killed by British soldiers in the culmination of days of unrest. On Saturday, March 8th, we helped to reenact this historical event. As my friend Denise said, that is what living in Boston is all about. First, there was a reenactment, where I got to play the part of one of the victims, Patrick Carr, taunting the redcoats with shouts of "Lobsterbacks!" and "Go back to England!" and throwing (styrofoam) snowballs and ice. After we were shot in all the confusion, we proceeded to have a trial in the Old State House. This was nine months later, after the acquittal of their leader, Captain Preston.










The soldiers holding their bayonettes at the ready to hold back the crowds.... and.... the soldiers waiting patiently to hear their fate... these boys were so cute! When two were convicted they looked down at their nametags to see if he were the unlucky one. When he saw that he was, the boy in the blue pants pounded his fist and said 'Shoot!'

During the trial, I played the part of Dr. John Jeffries, who attended to Patrick Carr that night. I heard his dying confession that they went there looking for trouble. I was called as a witness for the defense by the soldier's lawyer, John Adams (who was the second U.S. President). Six of the soldiers were acquitted and two found guilty of manslaughter. Mr. Adams then requested the 'benefit of the clergy' and the two men had to prove they were literate enough to read the Bible. Their punishment was to brand an M on their thumbs to prevent them using the same defense in the future. Don't worry, though, Paul Revere was still able to use the event as propaganda to fire up the colonists to war against Britain.












Me, as a witness, being cross-examined with the objection of John Adams for questioning my judgment as a doctor... and... the Mercy Branding.

Afterwards, we enjoyed seeing the rest of the Old State House museum, including a printing demonstration and the original engraved depiction of the massacre. I really liked this gem of a pitcher to the right:
We continued the night with yummy food at the Cheers bar, eating pickles and enjoying tropical drinks, then watching an old movie with Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston called The Big Country. A favorite quote from the movie: "I'm not responsible for what other people think of me, only for what I am." It was such a fun day to get out and enjoy this "interesting" old town with great girls.

Charlotte, Rachel, Kristie, Denise, Christina

5 comments:

Jake said...

Pretty interesting! How cool to participate in some of the history like that. What a crooked, I mean, interesting town...

kia said...

who is that sexy friend of yours with the red coat? she looks totally awesome.

Lindz said...

You really are getting into the historical stuff, huh? It looks neat.

Delise said...

He looks kind of Marty-esque. How was sapping...I can't remember what it's really called. Brain dead moment. Gah!

MomSqrt said...

Hi Charlotte, I just found your blog...I like it!
It looks like you're having a lot of fun. I'm just a "little" south of you in Tennessee!
I've got 4 daughters!
Check out my blog! www.rgrits.blogspot.com
You look really good!
Rachel