Sunday, June 8, 2008

Deep in the Heart of Texas

This year the ASCA conference was in San Antonio, Texas. I remembered that my last mission companion Heather lived in Texas (her family moved from Virginia while she was on her mission), but wasn't sure where. Lucky for me, it was near San Antonio! and she just had a baby! I went the weekend before the conference to stay with Heather, her husband Mike, ant their beautiful little girl Katy. It was so nice to get to see her and reminisce about the mish. I also took a video of an FHE that our DL at the time gave me. Crazy to see ourselves as missionaries again. We went to dinner the night I arrived and they were kind enough to let me share Mother's Day with them, so I was able to meet their families. I realized how much you get to know somebody when you live/work with them 24 hours/day for two months. Even though I hadn't seen Heather for a few years, it was comfortable and I realized how well I knew and loved her still. She was a great companion at a time I really needed one.We were supposed to go to the temple together, but unfortunately, my luggage didn't make it with me. My flight leaving Boston was delayed so they met us with one of those golf-carts to hurry us onto our connection. I guess they didn't bother to worry about our luggage though. Heather let me borrow her clothes so that I could go the next morning. I was still without luggage until after though, so no pics of me there. The temple in San Antonio is of the mini-temple variety, so smaller, but has beautiful stain glass windows. It is a goal of mine (and my friend Joy's) to go to all of the temples in the U.S. (and maybe someday the world). I'm a little bit more than halfway... San Antonio is number 32.
After the temple, I went to Six Flags and worked on my tan in the waterpark. Unfortunately, Heather had to work that day, so I was on my own during the day. It was convenient, though, when one rollercoaster had a single rider line. I only had to wait ten minutes instead of an hour. I missed out on the Superman, though. I waited for over half an hour, but it broke down and they couldn't get it running. This was the first time I went to a theme park by myself. Rather interesting to not talk too much and just listen to other people's conversations. In all, it was a great weekend. A good start to my first trip to Texas.

4 comments:

Jake said...

You punk! The temple was built after I served in SA and I've never been able to go! Lucky!

And I'm sorry. I'm sure you didn't have quite the fun time as you did in Sandusky... ;)

MomSqrt said...

Hey when u come to Nashville, let me know!! I live about 30 miles south of Nashville, and I'll go to the temple with you!!! It's a "small" temple too! I'm about an hour away from it :) If you're ever in the area stop by and say hi!
We did a family vacation this past week, we were in Philadelphia, DC, Palmyra, NJ (Jersey City, and Basking Ridge) I thought of you as we were driving around in the "heat wave"
Looks like you are doing pretty well over all. You're so beautiful!!!

Lindz said...

I can't believe you went all by yourself. I guess you could get things done faster and on more rides, that would be awesome. When will we see you again?

just jen said...

seeing old mission companions is always a good time!