Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rod-E-O

Trina, Bethany, Amy, Charlotte
A couple of summers ago my friend Lisa took me to the biggest rodeo in Utah. (This is also the friend who introduced me to rugby and she's an amazing ballroom dancer too). Lisa is fun to attend events with because she knows all the ins and outs and can explain what is going on. She was the one who explained to me just what makes the bulls and broncos angry enough to try and buck off their riders. I enjoyed the rodeo so much, that I bought a cowgirl hat... yee-haw! Anyway, when I heard that there was a rodeo in Marshfield on Friday, I had to go. Now... I didn't expect it to be as big as the rodeo Lisa took me to... but I was still a little disappointed. The arena was, well, small and there were less bleachers than at my high school football stadium and I was in the minority in my cowgirl hat. Little did I know, though, that professional rodeo actually began on the East Coast in Boston and DC. Who'd have thought? It was a good time watching the steer wrestling, the calf roping, bronco and bull riding, barrel racing. The cowboys weren't quite as skilled as the ones in Utah, but they were from places like New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania... ;) There was the premier rodeo entertainer who showed his skills with a lasso, a whip, and even yodeled for us. Here is a little clip of the most dangerous sport in the world for your enjoyment:

3 comments:

meg 'n' rich said...

Yee ha!! Looks like fun! I'm going to a rodeo this weekend in Wyoming on the 4th of July. I'll think of ya while I'm there! Good times!

The Life Of Patrick and Hil said...

Sounds like you had fun! I haven't been to a rodeo for 5 years. maybe pat would go with me...?

jeff said...

we went to the lehi roundup. it was great. alley wants to be a barrel racer now.