Thursday, June 12, 2008

Water Fire

The next day, Saturday, May 24th, we drove down to Providence, Rhode Island. Jack gave us a walking tour of the old historic part of town. His daughter is in our ward and offered the tour for our charity auction last Christmas. There are some beautiful homes there. Jack explained the different types of architecture. The houses on the left remind me of the painted ladies in San Francisco. I also thought it was funny that they just painted each section a different color, even though it's really all just one building. The house to the right was my favorite. I love the turret look and all the flowers in the windows. On the tour we went to one of the oldest libraries in the country, founded in 1753. I loved the old feel of it with books stacked to the ceiling. They still use the card catalog system. We ended the tour near the river and watched gondolas go by.

We stayed to watch the Waterfire exhibit that night. Dramatic music began playing, while a lady hitting a gong floated by, followed by a man in white with a mask. (When he floated by the second time, he gave me a red carnation.) Then a boat came and lit each of the fires one by one. I love staring at fires, how they move and change colors. They also kept us nice and warm, as the weather got a little chilly. It felt like a fair, with vendors allover. We got a crepe with strawberries and Nuttella. Mmm.
I like Providence.

1 comment:

Jake said...

So this Holly you speak of... she's single you say? ;)

Looks like you're having fun. Aren't you out there to work?!