Monday, June 9, 2008

There's no Basement in the Alamo

After leaving Heather & Mike's, I spent the rest of my time in San Antonio at the Marriott Rivercenter. We were just down the street from the Alamo and right on the Riverwalk. Bethany and I saw an IMAX show about the Alamo and another show from the Discovery channel. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were among those that defended the Alamo against Santa Anna. They were there for 13 days before the Alamo fell.

We also went on a cruise around the city. The Riverwalk is beautiful... little shops and restaurants with quaint bridges, statues, and lots of flowers. The little purple ones to the left are Texas bluebells. There were also bright colors everywhere. I heard that Salt Lake is deciding what to do with the Jordan River. I hope they do something like this with part of it. Just fun and different.
I attended two different conferences that week. The first part was just my company, then the last half of the week was the national ASCA (Ambulatory Surgical Centers Association) conference. I learned about spine surgery, bariatric procedures, and many other issues. It actually was quite interesting. I may want to study more about public health. We heard from keynote speaker Magic Johnson (he is HUGE) and the ambassador of fun from Southwest Airlines. He taught us that in Texas the standard greeting is "Howdy! How y'all doing?" To which one would answer either "Fine as frog's hair" or "If I were a dog, my tail'd be waggin'". To leave, "Well, it's time for me to git. Adios, amigos." They had a Red Hot Fiesta where we did a little line dancing, a little salsa dancing, and had caricatures drawn. My co-worker Brian also rode the mechanical bull. Yee-haw!
One funny thing about Texas... I have never seen so many state flags anywhere else in the country. There are more Texas flags flying than American flags. It's certainly all about Texas pride!

No comments: