Friday, June 6, 2008

Going Under

I've realized that I like to think in terms of firsts and discover new firsts all the time. You know, the first time I hosted/made dinner... the first time I dyed my hair by myself... etc. (Now, you'll probably want to go through my entire blog and look for me saying the "first".) This last year has been full of firsts for me, and not all of them good. Last month was the first time that I had general anesthesia. I have been having stomach problems the last little while and my GI did a gastroscopy. Basically, he stuck a camera down my throat to look around for ulcers and such. Well, I remember being wheeled into the OR, the doctor asking me to lay on my side, the nurse injecting something into my IV, and then nothing... Next thing I knew, I was in a different room, still on my side, but very disoriented. I looked at the clock and it was 45 minutes later. Wow! Drugs are amazing. Luckily, I have no ulcers... all he found was some inflammation in the bottom of the esophagus. I also had an ultrasound to look at all my other organs and again, they found nothing (that was my first procedure in a hospital). Hopefully these medicines he's having me take will work as well as the anesthesia did to get rid of my pain. Keep your fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Lindz said...

I hope your ok. I like going under because I really would not like to feel what they are doing while were are "out". I have been under a total of 3 times. i for wisdom teeth, once for c-section, and for my breast surgery. Maybe more I can't remember them all.

just jen said...

i am glad you are feeling better, it it terrible to always be in pain.

Rachel Leigh said...

I hope it gets better!